Saturday, February 5, 2011

Time flies... like a G6

Wow... I've been here a month... It actually does not feel that long
Another week is over, and I can’t believe that it’s less than 2 weeks until I get to see awesome German people again! And go to Berlin! Wooo!


But enough ranting, time to put the thinking cap on and reflect on last week. How did it make you feel? Uhuh. Uhuh. Good? Well, that definitely means that you’re harbouring repressed sexual feelings for your father.

But seriously, Freudian allusions aside, it was pretty good as far as weeks go. Saturday was pretty nondescript. I was exhausted from getting hardly any sleep on Friday, so it seemed to go really slowly. Whilst half of the girls cooked dog biscuits with the dept. House mistress, (and don’t even get me started on those. Like gourmet canine cookery... wtf? It eliminates the best part of cooking – eating... not that that really stopped me from trying one of the parmesan and oat biscuits when no one was looking. Shush. It’s our little secret. But anyway, the dogs seem to like them), I watched the girls practise their acts for the talent show. A lot of them are doing dances. Watching them dance is kind of worrying. For 13 year old girls, they sure seem to like to use their hips. And each other. And basically anything that stands still long enough for them to grind up against. However they’ve assured me that that classifies as ‘dancing’ in Nigeria, and promised never to dance that way in front of the Headmaster.

Sunday was a trip to the London Science Museum which is actually a lot more interesting than it sounds. It has so much interactive fun stuff to do, and tbh with a group of 12 yr olds, we were hardly going to be reading anything that wasn’t on a computer. However it was exhausting and I must admit there were moments when it was extremely tempting to steal the girls’ chocolate biscuits for a little extra energy. Lol dw, I wouldn’t actually. They’d never forgive me.

Monday... I actually have no idea. I slept until midday and only just made it to lunch in time. Then I probs called Louisa, and I think Yve, Caitlin and I watched a few episodes of HIMYM. And then I probably had a nap.

Tuesday...worked, ate lunch, and then I think I had one of the most amazing naps ever. Now don’t get me wrong, I think all naps are great. Sometimes I think I should just be an old granny already, just so i can have regular naps. But this one was particularly spectacular. It was so hard to get up at 6 to get ready for work again.

Wednesday... can’t remember anything of interest.

Thursday was a bit exciting. I got to sleep in, something which I really look forward to. However I always stay up late on Wednesday night if only because I know that I have Thursday morning off. But I end up getting even less sleep than normal. Which is a bit annoying. But after supper we had a bit of a surprise for the girls. We decided to have another fire drill, something that they wouldn’t expect, because they’re used to them happening early mornings. By making it as real as possible we’d be able to properly assess the girls’ abilities to react to such an emergency, without the reluctance normally associated with fire drills. So we’d liaised with the local fire brigade who came in to help us set everything up. Smoke machine in the kitchen? Check. Fire engines waiting to come to our rescue? Check. Girls in the house, chilling, doing prep etc? Awesome.

Anyway, it was really full on, but kind of exciting. The smoke poured out from under the kitchen door really fast, and the girls started freaking out and everyone evacuated in under 60 seconds. It was actually a bit scary as well, even though us staff knew that it wasn’t real. I also did admit to a couple of girls that it was a drill, because a few started crying and freaking out a bit down at the meeting point, but overall it worked really well. And we got to watch the firemen do their thang. (The girls were sliiightly obsessed with them. ‘OMG THEY’RE COMING!! Get ready to wave!!! Oooh they’re soooo fit’ so yeah, typical 12-13 yr olds really) and then afterwards we simply went back and I got to eat some of Olivia’s delicious chocolate birthday cake. Good day. But dreadfully draining.

Yesterday (Friday), Yve, Caitlin, Greer and I headed down to Oxford for a day out. The forecast said 10 degrees and I was so so excited that I decided that if I wore a big woollen jumper, I could go without a coat. Big mistake, I spent all day freezing in my 40denier tights, with really strong winds. I think I might be getting sick now 

But oxford was incredibly beautiful. We bussed in which only took 50 minutes or so. By the time we got to Oxford, we’d all decided to compete in weekly or fortnightly ‘masterchef’ competitions with each other, and yve and I had decided to start sewing/making/altering clothes again. I really need a hobby. Like my free time is a joke. I do nothing worthwhile at all.

I digress. Anyway, we started off by walking through the gorgeous streets and looking at beautiful architecture. We stopped at an Oxford souvenir shop and checked out the Covered Markets which had the most amazing cake shop. They had such wonderful displays in the windows, especially of wedding cakes. We zoomed off to the Oxford Castle and took a tour. It was great, as the guide was a character from its history – a thief who had twice escaped – and she kept us well entertained, especially when it came to the Castle’s history of being haunted!

We also drank this really yummy hot chocolate and climbed a grassy hill. It’s more exciting than it sounds.

We hat lunch at EAT which was pretty good, and had a Mcflurry on the way to Christ Church. Christ Church University was so amazingly beautiful. Like it had all the spire/turret romantic scenery thing going on, and the buildings were just spectacular. And to think about all the smart people who learnt there... right back to when it was first built. Ahhhhh! I would actually love to study there.

All in all it was an amazing day, and I’d definitely love to go back if we have time. It’s funny. I imagined being at Godstowe and travelling everywhere and anywhere, being able to see everything. But now that I’m here I’ve actually begun to notice how little time I actually have to see everything. It’s all just disappearing so so fast and I’m worried that I won’t be able to get everything done!

I really want to buy a map of Europe, if only to mark out all the places I’ve been and everywhere I want to go, but still haven’t found a shop selling them yet :(

So that’s about all for last week. Oh funny story though. So the school has a ‘no running inside’ policy, like most schools normally do, but they way they enforce it is actually so cute. They’ve convinced the younger girls that there are speed cameras situated throughout the school, and that they catch anyone going over 1.4km/h. And they’ve hung up pictures of blurred girls running through the school with captions like ‘Caught speeding. Who is this girl?’. So now everytime i see some of the little ones sprinting down a corridor I like to yell out ‘Girls! Don’t forget about the cameras!’ to which they sheepishly slow down and look about them worriedly. Heheheh.

(I also tried this with the fourths... but they’re like ‘uhhh Miss Egan... who do you think posed for the photos on all those posters?’ ah well, it was worth a try :) )

So there it is, fairly boring and nondescript, but that’s England for you. Have a great week and I’ll write more soon. Maybe.

Oh and p.s. I totes just booked my flights for Easter Holidays. Hellooo Italy, and TURKEY (Gallipoli for ANZAC Day anyone?)

No comments:

Post a Comment